Dimensional inspection during the production process can help prevent costly errors such as:
- Flawed batches - A production line that creates duplicate products requires precision setup and alignment. Errors in the production line can lead to entire batches of flawed goods, which can be quite costly for business owners. Dimensional measurement is worth the investment to prevent these expensive mistakes.
- Defective parts - Using dimensional inspection as part of the quality control process for high-precision manufacturing ensures that each part meets the required specifications.
- Friction - Using a part that is just a little too large can result in friction, which leads to a shorter equipment life and possibly even greater problems. Using dimensional inspection to create properly sized parts can help prevent this problem.
- Stiction - Surface characteristics and size of manufacturing components can be very important in preventing stiction problems that may cause motors to work harder and become less efficient. Ensuring that a component is properly sized and has the specified surface characteristics can reduce errors caused by stiction.
- Mechanical stress - Improper alignment can put unnecessary stress on ball bearings and moving parts, causing more wear and tear on the machinery and possibly leading to equipment failure. Laser alignment can help prevent this problem and lengthen equipment life.
The entire point of manufacturing is to create a process that is repeatable, scalable, and reliable. When successful, it results in lower manufacturing costs and lower pricing for the end user. However, precise, accurate measurements are required for any manufacturing line to be successful.
Q-PLUS Labs offers a broad range of dimensional measurement services to help you avoid these manufacturing errors and more. Starting with a capability study is an excellent way to save time and money and improve the efficiency of your manufacturing process. Contact us today to learn more or to discuss how we can work together.